Tuesday, September 20, 2016

5th element and 6 week growth spurt!

I'm late, sue me!
Let's recap the last couple weeks.
Duncan turned five weeks on September, 13th. During that time he got to meet his first family member (besides Mummy & Daddy). 

 We were very lucky to have Nanna Forsyth fly in from Perth for a visit. While she was here we got out for lots of coffee and cakes, we both love a good treat. She is a Mummy of three herself, and she gave me some great tips, and reassurance. It was incredibly calming to have such a warm visit. Duncan was absolutely at home in his Nanna's arms, and it was beautiful to see. 
I also noticed he has his Nanna's eyes! 
She pointed out that he has his Grandad's bum ;)
This is Nanna putting a silver coin under his mattress. An English tradition from his Grandad's side of the family and something that Daddy and all his siblings had done, it symbolises health and wealth.

He doesn't know what to do with his hands.

Milestones:
-Meeting Nanna Forsyth
-Between the 4th and 5th week he started smiling and giggling for real!
-Lots of batting at his toys and holding onto his rattle now (mostly with his left hand).
-Survived another couple nights without Daddy.
-Now cooing when he gets really excited.
-His first poo-nami (Thanks, Amy for the hilarious adjective)!
-Waking Mummy up at 2am for middle of the night giggles and smiles.
-Pizza party and cuddles with Aunt Roxy!

 Now onto six weeks! 
D turned 6 weeks yesterday, September 20th.
Over the weekend he hung out with Mummy and Daddy in the garden.
Daddy tended the garden while Mummy crocheted and aired out the old milkers. It's amazing what a bit of sun does to heal overworked nipples. After a little workout, and some garden time we ventured out for a coffee and a bit of shopping. D was a little angel. We also realised over the weekend that he's going through a growth spurt. He went from feeding every three hours to demanding every two. It's amazing how quickly these little humans grow. I inevitably started getting stressed, and questioning myself, like most new Mummies. Then Paul pointed out that he's growing out of all of his newborn clothes, and it clicked. Duh, he's cluster feeding, because he's going through a growth spurt! Yeesh, I hope I can realise that next time and save myself a few tears.
Yesterday he had one pretty good projectile vomit. It landed on me, the feeding pillow, or bed, and the carpet. It took some serious skin to skin to calm both of us down.
Yesterday he and I both had our six week check up. We're both growing, and healing as we should. Daddy read D a book while we waited to be called back.
After work Daddy and D did some push ups and tummy time in the backyard.

Milestones:
-Gained a whole mess of weight. D now weighs 4.4 kilos from his previous 3.98 kilos at 4 weeks.
-Projectile vomiting on not only the bed, but Mummy, and a few other places ;)
-Giggling and smiling for Daddy at 5am.

I can't even keep track of all the changes. D is changing hourly! But I'm thankful for what I can remember to key in.

His eyes focus more daily. He absolutely recognises his Mummy and Daddy, and has for weeks I'm sure. His giggles are getting more obvious, and are quite contagious. We're going a lot of co-sleeping/bed sharing. I get a much better night's rest when I don't have to stand up to check if he needs a feed or just a tummy rub. I know it's not going to continue long term, but it's just so calming. The sound of his deep sleep breathing is like heaven on earth.





No comments:

Post a Comment