Sunday, February 3, 2013

Weekends in the sun.

This weekend started out beautifully. Friday afternoon for me was spent at the beach with my almost Sister in law, and nephews. It was a hot one! Jordan jumped right in the water & Christian kicked and punched the water. They are a hilarious duo. We all got stung by a small jelly fish. Or at least Ness and I did for sure. Can't say for sure with the crazy boys. It was the first time I've gotten stung. We hit the beach generally at least once a week. So I've been pretty lucky so far. The sting definitely hurt. But it didn't leave a mark on me & as far as I know there's no damage! After the beach the boys did a bit of climbing at the playground. Then it was time to head home for dinner. Poor Paul had a crazy day at work while we played at the beach.

After the beach Paul & I got out for an evening jog once the temperature had cooled down. I'll be doing a 5K jog in July. So I need to get my endurance up. Luckily, I have quite the trainer to keep me motivated. 

Saturday was another hot one. But we had some errands to run. I somewhat mastered my numerous attempts at a victory roll in my hair. I was extremely excited about that. It also gave me a chance to wear one of my Grandma Smiths scarves in my hair; which I love to do! We started our day with a much needed coffee. Then we headed off to the E-shed markets. There are several different stalls in a large building with different souvenirs and the like. We picked up a few things then peeled toward the post office. We made it just in time to the post office to get a very important little boys birthday gift in the mail. Then we did a bit of thrift shop wandering. After all our running around I decided we deserved a beer. Freo was crazy busy this weekend. So we didn't have the easiest time finding a great spot to people watch at the bar. But we eventually found a couple seats together. We saw a guitarist on stilts, a lady in all pink, a dude with an adidas track jacket zipped up (mind you it was about 100 degrees F). We sat next to an older gentleman at the bar. He picked Pauls brain a bit. He asked him if he was single, even though we were holding hands. I guess I was chopped liver. After we finished our beer we headed home for lunch. 

Then once the temperature cooled it was time to pick up Mum and Pauls brother for some eats. We had dinner at the Bathers Beach Markets, just down the road from our serviced apartment. Paul dropped us out front and parked the car. On his walk back he noticed dolphins! Yay! He came back and told me. I obviously jumped out of my seat & sure enough there were about four dolphins swimming right on the beach. They were so close to the swimmers. They must have been gobbling up some of the fish. We watched them for about five minutes & decided it was time to eat. These dolphins were at the beach right near where we're staying. I walk past this beach nearly everyday on my way into Freo to run errands. Only about a five minute walk. 

We had a wonderful dinner with Pauls Mum and Brother. There was some live music. One guy and his guitar. Then one girl and her guitar. Both were wonderful. I'm constantly amazed by the raw talent of the buskers here. Mum tried cous cous for the first time. To which she said she quite liked. Mick had Mediterranean, which he also loved. Paul had some quesadillas. He was happy. But wished he's tried something more funky. I had two sweet potato sliders. They were exquisite! We finished our night by driving past the strip in Freo where all the drunks hang. It's prime real estate for people watching.

Sunday was another busy one for us. We went out for an iced coffee and small eats at a cute little restaurant right near the beach. Then we did a bit of lazing at the beach. Our plan was to enjoy the beach then head to the grocery store. But my bladder had other plans. I recently watched a doco on nat. geo. about a man that peed in a river. He had a fish fly up his member. I then decided I didn't want to evacuate my bladder in the ocean. So we had to b-line it back to the quest to use the toilet. It was such a lovely day & still so early. There were some markets going on at the park down the road. We decided to walk through the markets and walk to the grocery store instead of driving. I spotted a fairy floss stand, or cotton candy. I haven't had it in over a year. So I had to steal some cash from Paul to fill my craving. Then it was off to the shops. We picked up some veg. at the Freo markets. These were like a sweat lodge; filled with loud and pushy people. We got our fresh veg. and peeled! We made it out of the grocery store relatively unscathed. Unfortunately, the walk was a bit much with heavy groceries. Both of us came home with blisters between our toes from our thongs (flip flops). Paul also insisted on carrying the bags, because they were quite heavy. 

After our walk to the shops Paul thought we deserved some wine. So we headed out one last time to pick up a couple bottles. He was right. It was nice treat to end our busy but not busy weekend. 

As time continues here I feel luckier every day. I miss the hell out of my family and friends in the states. But I couldn't have found a better person to have moved for. Each day is better than the last. I've now been to Western Australia, Darwin, and Sydney. I've seen kangaroos, dolphins, and jelly fish. I can't wait to see what the future has in store for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment