Sunday, September 23, 2012

Gettin' jiggy in Darwin

Four days away in Darwin. Darwin is a four hour direct flight from Melbourne. Paul had work in Darwin this past weekend, so I got to tag along. It's significantly warmer than Melbourne, so I was very happy to join. The sun is much more powerful. I learned this the hard way. I put on sunscreen, but it didn't make a huge difference. After only two hours of laying by the pool I was burnt to a crisp. 

Since moving to Melbourne We've visited Perth in Western Australia which is where Paul is from & Darwin in the Northern Territory. We'll probably be back in Perth in the next couple of months.

For dinner there weren't very many Vegetarian options, but lots of sea food. I'm still willing to eat sea food. I ordered Chili Prawns. They came with heads still attached. That is something I'm NOT used to. I have such a good boyfriend that he detached the heads for me & ate off the bits he knew I wouldn't like.

We were able to take in the sunset after our meal. 
We felt safe from crocs near this body of water, because a lot of people were fishing there.

The next night we went to the Mindil Beach sunset markets. There were tons of pop up food tents & shops. After we found some yummy veggo food we wandered back towards the sound of a didgeridoo & drums. There were two men playing some funky beats in front of the screen to the right. In the back of the screen were some elder Aboriginal women watching; while Aboriginal children danced to the music. This was my favourite part of Darwin. 

On Sunday we checked out Crocodylus Park. There were crocs, buffalo, lion & lioness, monkeys, a kangaroo, dingos, wallaby's, iguanas, emu, & an ostrich. Most of the exhibit had only one or two of each animal. For $35 we had a short tour that included a feeding of the larger crocs. I actually fed a croc. I just held a stick with lamb attached to rope over the railing and the croc jumps up for a bite. Right before I saw this sign I reached my hands through the railings to take a picture. Crap.

At the end of the tour we got to hold a baby croc. Right after we snapped my pic the croc moved a tiny bit. The tour guide handed it to Paul for a cuddle. The croc then shat in Paul's suspecting hands. He had a feeling it was about to drop a deuce.Whilst getting croc shat in the palm of his hand, he smiled happily for a photo.

Those are hundreds of what I assume to be toddler crocs. As we were walking past there were two dudes walking on the other side of that water dropping tubs of chicken on the black part above the water. You could hear their small feet against the plastic jumping up for chicken & jumping back into the water after their feeding. The only way to describe it is intense.

I had a great time in Darwin. Paul was such a trooper. He had to wake up everyday very early & work nearly ten hours in the Darwin heat. I would have been exhausted. But he managed to muster up the energy to show me around Darwin each evening. I'm lucky to have such a good boyfriend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment